Monday, April 03, 2006

Double Feature

I finally saw Crash last night. Sorry to be late to the party, but I almost never see movies in theaters, and why pay to rent a DVD when the same movie will be on HBO/Starz/Cinemax/Showtime three months later? I'm paying for all those channels anyway, right?

Anyway, back to Crash. Put me in the Crash-haters camp. It had a few good moments, but hardly enough to vault it into "Best Picture" territory. So what was the point of this film? Surely a film this preachy had to have a point. Was it that, deep down, everybody is racist, even the people who go out of their way to prove to themselves that they aren't? Was it that even racists can be good to their elderly fathers and can sometimes act in heroic fashion? That the issue of race in America is really complex? Come on, tell me something I don't already know.

So after watching Crash I needed a chaser, something to wash the bad taste out of my mind. After channel-surfing a few minutes I found the perfect antidote: Soul Plane!

No comments: